Although Pride might look a little bit different this year, everyone has a Passport to Pride. See below for resources, ways to support, and a list of live events happening this month.
And don’t forget to check out the ultimate LGBTQIA+ book list, featuring unforgettable and inspiring reads that celebrate and give voice to the LGBTQIA+ community.
RESOURCES AND CONTENT:
- Spend the month reading stories by LGBTQ+ authors—every book on this list is 20% off on PRH.com for the month of June with the code READPRIDE.
- Check out this list of anti-racist books and resources for adults and kids.
- Follow @PenguinRandomHouse on Instagram to catch our Pride video series featuring some incredible authors (including Sarah McBride, Tom Fitzgerald and Lorenzo Marquez, Jacob Tobia, and more). PLUS we’re hosting weekly Instagram Live chats featuring some of our favorite authors and bookstagrammers. Tune in:
- Listen to free excerpts from LGBTQ+ audiobooks EVERY DAY during the month of June on @PRH Audio’s Instagram or Twitter
- Enjoy this Brightly Storytime video reading of Pride: The Story of Harvey Milk and the Rainbow Flag with your kids
- Check out both the Pride and Diverse Perspectives collections on our audiobook app, Volumes.
- Subscribe to the We Are YA podcast by Penguin Teen, whose current season features the authors of the Pocket Change Collective:
- Live now: This Is What I Know About Art with Kimberly Drew
- Airs 6/11: The New Queer Conscience with Adam Eli
- Airs 6/25: Beyond the Gender Binary with Alok Vaid-Menon
- Subscribe to the Books Connect Us podcast to catch these special Pride episodes:
WAYS TO SUPPORT:
- Donate to a Black trans organization (thank you to the PRH LGBTQ Network for the suggestions), such as: Black Visions Collective, The Okra Project: Nina Pop/Tony McDade Mental Health Recovery Fund, For the Gworls: Medical and Rent Assistance Fund, or the Atlanta Homeless Black Trans Women Fund
- Support our friends in the LGBTQ+ bookstagram community, who are raising money for Lambda Literary AND the LGBTQ Freedom Fund this month through their #BookstaPride campaign. Donate here to be entered to win a $25 gift card to an LGBTQ-owned independent bookstore.
- Show your Pride with Book Nerd merch. Out of Print is donating 10% of all Book Nerd sales to Lambda Literary for the month of June! Additionally, 100% of sales on 6/2 were donated to Black Lives Matter.
- Pay It Forward with Fairest by Meredith Talusan! Purchase two copies of FAIREST and one will be sent to a reader who is unable to afford one, available from the following independent bookstores:
- Support an LGBTQ-owned independent bookstore, such as: Charis Books & More, Loyalty Bookstores, A Room of One’s Own, or Moon Palace Books or a Black-owned independent bookstore, such as: The Lit Bar, Semicolon Bookstore & Gallery, or Mahogany Books.
- Monday 6/1: Meredith Talusan, author of Fairest, with Matt Ortile, hosted by Books Are Magic (7 pm EST, Zoom)
- Tuesday 6/2: Launch event for The Pocket Change Collective, including The New Queer Conscience and Beyond the Gender Binary, featuring authors Kimberly Drew, Alok Vaid-Menon, Xiuhtezcatl Martinez, and Adam Eli (7pm EST, Youtube Live)
- Wednesday 6/3: Ilana Masad, author of All My Mother’s Lovers, with Laura Bogart, hosted by Paragraph: Workspace for Writers (8pm EST, Zoom)
- Thursday 6/4: #KidLit Rally for Black Lives, featuring authors Jacqueline Woodson, Kwame Alexander, Christopher Myers, Derrick Barnes, Samantha Berger, Linda Sue Park, Renée Watson, and more, hosted by The Brown Bookshelf (7pm EST, Facebook)
- Thursday 6/4: Social Justice Power Hour featuring Meredith Talusan, hosted by the Bayard Rustin Center for Social Justice (7pm EST, Facebook)
- Thursday 6/4: One World Ideas x Action Presents #BlackLivesMatter’s Alicia Garza and One World’s Chris Jackson (8pm EST, Zoom + YouTube Live)
- Thursday 6/4: Meredith Talusan with Jennifer Finney Boylan, hosted by The Booksmith (9pm EST, Facebook)
- Saturday 6/6: Meredith Talusan with and Zaina Arafat, hosted by First Saturdays at the Brooklyn Museum (7:30pm EST, Zoom)
- Tuesday 6/9 and Wednesday 6/10: Watch Dr. Jennifer L. Eberhardt, PhD, author of Biased, on a panel of experts for Oprah Winfrey’s two-part special, “Where Do We Go From Here?” (OWN, TLC, Discovery)
- Thursday 6/11: Meredith Talusan with Amber Tamblyn, hosted by Skylight Books (9pm EST, Zoom)
- Monday 6/15: Ilana Masad Virtual Author Talk: Queer Novel Mini-Series, hosted by the Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center (7pm EST, Facebook)
- Monday 6/15: Meredith Talusan on Memoir Monday with Lily Dancyger
- Tuesday 6/23: Meredith Talusan, hosted by Women & Children First (7pm EST)
- Thursday 6/25: Meredith Talusan, hosted by Left Bank Books
- Tuesday 6/30: Meredith Talusan, hosted by Charis Books