Are you an introvert?
Take this quiz to find out where you fall on the introvert-extrovert spectrum. Answer each question True or False, choosing the answer that applies to you more often than not.
1. ______ I prefer one-on-one conversations to group activities.
2. ______ I often prefer to express myself in writing.
3. ______ I enjoy solitude.
4. ______ I seem to care about wealth, fame, and status less than my peers.
5. ______ People tell me that I’m a good listener.
6. ______ I’m not a big risk-taker.
7. ______ I enjoy work that allows me to “dive in” with few interruptions.
8. ______ I like to celebrate birthdays on a small scale, with only one or two close friends or family members.
9. ______ People describe me as “soft-spoken” or “mellow.”
10.______ I prefer not to show or discuss my work with others until it’s finished.
11.______ I tend to think before I speak.
12.______ I often let calls go through to voice-mail.
The more often you answered True, the more introverted you are. If you found yourself with a roughly equal number of True and False answers, then you may be an ambivert—yes, there really is such a word. Note: This is an informal quiz, excerpted from Quiet, based on characteristics of introversion commonly accepted by contemporary researchers.
Crown Publishers – On sale January 31, 2012
Join the conversation with Susan Cain at her blog, ThePowerofIntroverts.com